Shodo(書道) is a form of calligraphy, or artistic writing, of the Japanese language. For a long time, the most esteemed calligrapher in Japan had been Wang Xizhi, a Chinese expatriate calligrapher in Japan during the 4th century, but after the invention of Hiragana and Katakana, the Japanese unique syllabaries, the distinctive Japanese writing system developed and calligraphers produced styles intrinsic to Japan. The term shodō (書道) is likely of Chinese origin as it is widely used to describe the art of Chinese calligraphy during the medieval Tang dynasty. (From wikipedia)
Let’s experience Shodo(Japanese calligraphy)!! You will learn basic skill of Shodo the Japanese calligraphy such as how to hold the brush, write Japanese letters and the spirit of Japanese tradition. You pick what you want to write after some practices and take your works home as the sourvenir. Make and keep a great memory of Japan with us!
Shodo and mediation
Practicing shodo work is not just for improving your writing skill but for your mindfulness. It will help to improve your concentration, mental strength and the mediation.
-Pick what you want to write and the Bokurei sensei(the teacher) will give you a copy for you. It’s popular to write your name in Kanji(Japanese characters).
-The professional calligrapher will teach you one by one.
-Concentrate on your mind and make a stroke with the brush!! It’s good to escape to a world outside the bustle of daily activities and enjoy its style in silence.
- Availability: Mon-Fri 11:00-15:00 (about 1 hour duration) *Booking is required.
- Reservation: Required. Please contact us via emai firstname.lastname@example.org or call (+81)080-4568-4468. *2000JPY will be charged for a deposit via Paypal or bank transfer when you make a reservation.
- Cost: 5000JPY per person/ 3000JPY under 12years old
- Capacity: Up to 5 people per session
- Lecture: This workshop will be instructed by the professional calligrapher Bokurei. All supplies and materials will be provided for you to use during the workshop. At the end of the workshop, you write the ideograph you pick on a fan after some practices and bring it back home. Knowledge of Japanese is a plus but if you don’t have any, the assistant will help the lecture in English for you.
- What you need: Just bring your own with the clothes can be dirty with inks.
- The venue: Bokurei shodo class
Shinmotomachi Building 503 1-1-1
Motomachidori Chuo-ku Kobe-shi 神戸市中央区元町通1-1-1 新元町ビル503
- Contact: (+81) 080-4568-4469 or email@example.com
Started learning Shodo since 5 years old. After working as a primary school teacher, opened Bokurei shodo class in Sannomiya, Kobe since April 2015. Teaching variety of methods from practical writing to professional techniques based on the classic books.
Designed and wrote the shop logo, baby poster and hanging banner.
Wishing everyone to feel famillier with beautiful hand writing letters and to spread the attraction of Shodo from Kobe to whole world.
Follow Bokurei on Instagram @bokurei_shodo